More than half of women over the age of 55 experience issues that stem from pelvic floor disorders. So, if you are suffering from any of the problems below, rest assured you are not alone—and there is treatment.
Symptoms of pelvic floor disorders can include:
• Urine leakage when coughing, sneezing, or laughing
• Frequent urges to urinate during the day
• Waking up more than once at night to urinate
• Pain during intercourse
• Loss of previous ability to control vaginal muscles
• Difficulty having a bowel movement
• Pain or pressure in the back, pelvis, or hips that gets in the way of daily activities
Women experiencing any of the above symptoms should consult with their doctor to get a proper diagnosis and discuss whether physical therapy is an option—and, if it is, our physical therapists can provide the personalized treatment you need to regain control of your habits and better enjoy life.
Though pelvic floor disorders and dysfunctions most commonly affect women 55 and older, they—like most other disorders and dysfunctions—do not discriminate and can sometimes affect much younger women, especially after childbirth, surgery, or any other type of trauma.
At Blue Sky Therapy, our therapists are experienced working with women of all ages, who suffer from pelvic floor disorders or weakness for a wide variety of reasons. When you visit one of our physical therapy centers, your therapist will work closely with you to develop a personalized plan that address your specific symptoms.