Your doctor says you’ve got a heart problem, and you know he must be right, because right then your heart skips a beat. It’s a scary diagnosis. But there are things you can do offset its progress.
Taking an active role in your care will help you enjoy a healthier future. Know your goals, make changes in your health habits and take your medicines correctly. You can reduce future problems if you react quickly to new or worsening symptoms. And for right now, Blue Sky Therapy’s team is here to get you back on the right track.
Blue Sky's Cardiac Therapy Program was designed in response to an increased need for the rehabilitation of cardiac patients in long-term care facilities. The program enables therapists to successfully rehabilitate residents suffering from cardiac conditions in the safest, most optimal manner. The program focuses on patients with post-acute cardiac events, as well as patients with acute and chronic congestive heart failure.
Most heart disease patients can help lower their risk of future heart problems if they make changes to improve their health. Building a healthier future is a partnership between the patient and the healthcare professionals who can help you change your health habits. You can play an active role in making these changes.
Our Cardiac Rehabilitation program is a professionally supervised program to help people recover from heart attacks, heart surgery and percutaneous (through-the-skin) coronary intervention procedures such as stenting and angioplasty. We provide education and counseling services to help heart patients increase physical fitness, reduce cardiac symptoms, improve health and reduce the risk of future heart problems, including heart attack.
Many people of all ages who have heart conditions can benefit from a cardiac rehab program. You may benefit if you have or have had a:
- Heart attack
- Heart condition, such as coronary artery disease, angina or heart failure
- Heart procedure or surgery, including coronary artery bypass graft surgery, percutaneous coronary intervention (including coronary angioplasty and stenting), valve replacement, or a pacemaker or implantable cardioverter defibrillator.
Programs are individualized and can include a medical evaluation to determine your needs and limitations, a physical activity program tailored to your needs, counseling and education to help you understand your condition and how to manage it. You may work with a dietitian to create a healthy eating plan. If you smoke, you may get counseling on how to stop. Counseling may also help you cope with depression, anger and stress during your recovery.
Your rehabilitation plan is designed to meet your needs. You may need six weeks, six months or longer; many programs last only three months. Others can continue for years.
When you work with Blue Sky Therapy professionals to turn back the effects of a heart condition, you’ll get:
- Regular physical activity that helps your heart and the rest of your body get stronger and work better. Physical activity improves your energy level and lifts your spirits. It also reduces your chances of future heart problems, including heart attack.
- Counseling and education that can help you quit smoking, eat right, lose weight, and lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Counseling may also help you learn to manage stress and to feel better about your health.
- Advice and close supervision to help you improve your health and lower your risk of future problems. These professionals can also communicate with your primary care doctor or cardiologist.
So … take heart! Blue Sky’s ahead — We’re here for you!